Pages

07 February 2010

J.L. Runeberg's Day

I made some jewelry today. I made these simple earrings to go with the necklace I made earlier: red tiger eye, brass and copper.

Snowflake pendant from Summers Studio, boro beads from Brendan Blake Glass Art, freshwater pearls, silver beads and findings.

Koi pendant from Summers Studio, boro beads from Brendan Blake Glass Art, Hill Tribe silver beads, freshwater pearls, crystals, silver beads and findings.

It was Johan Ludvig Runeberg's Day on Friday 5th. He is the Finnish national poet. He lived from 1804 to 1877. His home in Porvoo is a museum today. It is said that his wife Fredrika started baking the Runeberg's tortes and that Runeberg had one for breakfast every day. There are several recipes for the torte, they usually include almonds and rum with raspberry jam and a ring of sugar on top. To celebrate I'm going to have a BIG cup of coffee and a Runeberg's torte.

6 comments:

  1. Hello Gunilla, your necklaces and earing - georgous. And the Runebergs torte looks tasty! Do you think you can post the receipe? I would like to give it a try. Have a good week, Inge

    ReplyDelete
  2. The snowflake necklace is stunning, such a wintery feel :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Inge and Mellisa! I will try to translate a version of the receipe, but there are as many versions of the tortes as there are bakers. I must admit I didn't bake mine myself. You have a good week too! Gunilla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the necklace with the snowflake pendant, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love what you've done with the pendants. The snowflake one has a lovely wintry/icy feel. The shells, starfish, and koi with the blue pearls is very ocean. Thank you so much for posting these. They are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much Shelby and LeAnn!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I will return your visit (if I haven't visited you already), but please be patient. I might not be able to do so until the weekend. Take care!